Make an enquiry to find out where you stand.
> About us
In the Community
Our lawyers are all active contributors to their local community.
Catherine Henry Lawyers – its solicitors and other staff – actively support the community, law reform, and the development of the legal profession. We use our knowledge and capabilities to provide a complete legal service to clients. Our free podcast, e-books and other blogs help the community to better understand current legal issues and their rights.
We advocate on community issues – especially those relating to women and the vulnerable – as well as for law reform in critical areas such health and aged care.
- Member, Justice Connect
- Member, National Justice Project
- Founding Member, Hunter Ageing Alliance
- Founding Panel Member, ALARM (Aged-care Legal Advocacy & Reform Matter)
- Member, Hunter Region’s Reference Group for Potential Elder Abuse
- National spokesperson on Elder Law and NSW spokesperson on health reform – Australian Lawyers Alliance
Other lawyers and support staff in the firm are involved with
Probono Legal Support
Our lawyers undertake probono work and provide legal support to select community campaigns.
- National Justice Project – legal support and advocacy for prisoners and Indigenous Australians.
- Representing Parks & Playgrounds Movement in the NSW Land & Environment Court seeking to prevent the removal of iconic Hills fig trees from Laman Street
- Free legal assistance via the Cancer Council’s Pro Bono Program.
Sponsorships and Charity Support
We sponsor a range of legal and community programs and events. Our staff also fundraise for a range of charities and volunteer with community groups. Some of our key sponsorships include:
Legal Profession Development
Our lawyers are all members of the Newcastle Law Society and many are members of other legal industry groups. We play our part in improving our profession, including to ensure gender equity.
- Member of the University of Newcastle Law School Advisory Board
- Supporter of the University of Newcastle’s Empower program for female law students
- Founder and convener of the Women Lawyers NSW, Newcastle Chapter
- Committee Member of the Australasian Legal Practice Managers Association (ALPMA).
Community Support and Recognition
While it is not why we do it, our support for the community has been recognised through various awards.
- Regional Law Firm of the Year – Australian Law Awards 2021
- Contribution to the Region – Hunter Business Awards Finalist 2021
- Employer of Choice – Hunter Business Awards Finalist 2021
- Excellence in Business – Hunter Business Awards Finalist 2021
- Regional Lawyer of the Year – Australian Law Awards 2020 (Catherine Henry)
- ALA Civil Justice Award – 2020 (Catherine Henry)
- Newcastle Woman of the Year – 2021 (Catherine Henry)
- Individual Contribution to Business and General Community – Hunter Business Club Award 2019 (Catherine Henry)
We're here to help you.
If you have questions, would like some more information about us or our services or simply want to speak to someone, make an enquiry and a member of our team will be in touch with you shortly.