Our lawyers are all active contributors to their local community.
Recent (and current) cases we have conducted on a pro bono basis for the community include:
- Representing patients from a local medical centre seeking access to their treatment records following a change in ownership
- Representing Parks & Playgrounds Movement in the NSW Land & Environment Court seeking to prevent the removal of 14 iconic Hills fig trees from Laman Street
- Representing the daughter of an elderly woman in a coronial inquest who died as a result of alleged nursing negligence
- Representing community organisations wanting to clarify their policies and procedures for releasing confidential client records upon receipt of a court issued subpoena
- Representing GPs from a local medical centre threatened by their former employers with breach of restraint of trade
- Solicitors from Catherine Henry Lawyers volunteer their time to provide free legal assistance via the Cancer Council’s Pro Bono Program
- Catherine Henry Lawyers is a firm member of Justice Connect
Our community involvement is extensive
Catherine Henry was the President of the Newcastle Law Society for 6 years from 2004 until 2009. One of her key objectives in that role was to secure government support for a rejuvenated justice precinct for the region.
She has been an active member of a number of community boards and was appointed by the NSW Government as a Member of Council of the University of Newcastle for a three year term.
Whilst practising in Sydney, she was the President of the NSW Branch of the Australian Plaintiff Lawyers Alliance (now the ALA) for a lengthy term, actively involved in the NSW Women Lawyers Association including as an Executive member and held a two year appointment on the Board of the NSW Legal Aid Commission as the representative of the NSW Attorney-General.
In 2019 Catherine received the Hunter Business Club Award for her significant individual contribution towards the greater good of people in Newcastle and the Hunter Region.
Catherine Henry Lawyers supports numerous events and charities throughout the year, including:
- The Equal Futures Project, International Women’s Day Breakfast
- Newcastle Law Society
- Pink Meets Teal
- Cancer Council
- Women Lawyers Association of NSW Achievement Awards
- UoN Ikara-Flinders Ranges Challenge
- Community Ride for Sick Kids, Northern NSW
- Hunter Business Chamber, Business Development Forum
- Newcastle Writers Festival